All 45 98.10 locomotives were recovered after 1945 by the Deutsche Bundesbahn, and continued to be used exclusively in their native Bavaria. Many of the locomotives were still used after this time, in freight service especially. DB did not make any more major changes or improvements; in the late 50s, they added a third headlight. If the coal bin or the water
tanks had to be replaced due to corrosion, the new parts frequently arose from welding technology. In 1950 the locomotives were distributed to the three directorates of Munich, Augsburg and Regensburg. The great majority of the locomotives were headquartered at ED (railway district management) Regensburg, which took in 28 units as their own.