After the end of the war, a large number of G 10s were lost. The directorates in the western-occupied zones held stocks of about 650 engines. More than 1,000 were considered lost or retained by foreign rail companies. In 1952 there was a remainder of 485 locomotives in the fleet. As in the time of the DRG, the largest stocks were in Essen and Wuppertal. Next came Stuttgart, Trier, Frankfurt and Karlsruhe. Apart from its deployment on routes with a light superstructure, the BR 57 was often used as a shunting locomotive. For this purpose, several locomotives were equipped with shunting radio. They were used for shunting especially on the extensive tracks of the shunting stations in Basle (Haltingen depot) and the Hagen depot. The depot in Cochem used class 57 locomotives to shunt a large number of trains on the Mosel route. In the early 1950s, these services were also available in Hausach on the Schwarzwaldbahn (Black Forest railway). In many conurbations in the 1950s, the G 10 pulled the local goods trains â€œround the housesâ€, while the BR 50 was used for more difficult jobs. As the pace of structural change increased, these tasks were transferred to diesel and electric locomotives, with standard locomotives replacing the Prussians. In many places, the V 60 took over shunting work, leading to inventories being given up. It was decided in 1959 that G 10 would only be used in L2. This meant that, from 1959 to 1967, the fleet dwindled from 149 to just 7 engines.