Navigable minimum radius: The models of BR 01 are technically suitable for R 360. For best driving characteristics we recommend the use on R 420.
The Kassel-based Henschel Company delivered the 01 173 locomotive to the Göttingen P railway depot under the works serial number 22721 in 1936. In addition to the North-South route, the Göttinger 01 also operated
on routes to the west and east and turned around in Berlin and Osnabrück. The 01 173 was not in operation at the end of the war and its association to a railway depot is unknown. It was only restored in 1948
and then moved to Cologne operating railway station via Hagen Eckesey. Except for a brief loan to Osnabrück, it remained here for almost twenty years, although it was located at the Deutzerfeld railway depot from
1964. The "Cologne 01" vehicles travelled along the Rhine from Ludwigshafen and Mannheim to Arnhem and Hamm as well as to Kassel and Osnabrück. In 1967, the locomotive relocated to Hof, the last 01 stronghold.
It was here that the "Ulmer Eisenbahn Freunde e.V. (UEF)" [Ulm Railway Friends Association] noticed the locomotive in 1973. The association tried all Hofer 01 vehicles as part of their search for a larger club
steam locomotive. The locomotive''s good general condition saved it from the cutting torch. The UEF used it for numerous special train journey up until 1975 when it was replaced by a 01 1066 as a result of laborious
boiler work. Today, the 01 173 is owned by the "Freunde und Förderer des Deutschen Technikmuseums Berlin e.V." [Friends and Sponsors of the German Museum of Technology, Berlin] and is currently being restored to
an operative condition under museum-based aspect in cooperation with the UEF Historischer Dampfschnellzug e.V. [UEF Historical Steam Express Train Association].