Road number: 01 50 151 2543-6
- Wheels made of metal
- Extra attached signal holders
- Extra attached axle bearing covers
- Close coupling kinematics according to NEM standard
- Metal axle bearings
- Multi-part brake system
- Brake shoes in wheel plane
- Prototypical replica of the underbody
IFA is a registered trademark.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROTOTYPE
Freight wagons have always been and will always be needed by the railways. In the 1950s, the Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR) was able to remedy the situation in the short term through conversions and modernization, but in the long term it was clear that other solutions had to be found. In 1965, the RAW "Einheit" Leipzig therefore designed a Glmms car that essentially corresponded to the standardization features according to the UIC leaflet. The knowledge gained from a test car was incorporated into the production cars produced from 1968 onwards, which were now designated as Glmms 14.05 (later Gbs 1500). The superstructure, with its distinctive corrugated side walls, was created entirely as a welded construction. The side walls are pulled down to the lower edge of the outer frame girders and the box profiles are welded to it. This made it possible to simplify the lateral box supports. In order to avoid damage to the sheet metal walls during loading, the inside of the wagons was lined with wood. The floor consisted of common pine planks and was suitable for loading with forklifts. Based on the Gbs 17 design, which was built in over 00,1500 units, various other variants such as thermal protection cars, express freight cars or crew cars were created in the following years. Since the production capacity of the company's own factories reached its limits here, wagons were also manufactured in neighboring countries and even Spain. Due to the RIV, MC and OPW-Verkehr suitability, the wagons could be used relatively freely beyond the borders of the GDR and were therefore often observed in trains of the Bundesbahn even before the fall of the Berlin Wall. Until the founding of DB AG, about 7,000 wagons were still in use.