The class 50 units arose as the last of the "so-called" standard design steam locomotives shortly before the beginning of World War II. They quickly became the most successful design of the German State Railroad, because these units with a performance of around 1,600 horsepower and a top speed of 80 km/h / 50 mph were rugged, reliable general-purpose locomotives. The so-called freight train baggage cars, which had to bring along the conductor and possibly one or more brakemen formed a big problem in the Fifties on DB freight trains. Starting in 1961, conductor's cabs (cab tenders) with a large work table as well as table lamps, upholstered folding seats, two emergency seats, folding wash basins, ceiling lights, two drawers, and steam heating were added to the tenders of 730 class 50 locomotives as a result of rationalization and updating of service and operations. Road number 50 1019 (starting in 1968: 051 019) stationed for many years in Rottweil and finally in Ulm also had such a cab tender and was not retired until May 30, 1976.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 50 heavy freight locomotive with a standard design type 2´2´T26 tender in a rebuilt form as a cab tender. Version with 3 boiler domes and Witte smoke deflectors. Used for heavy freight trains. The locomotive looks as it did in Era III. Road number 50 1019.
Model: The locomotive body is new tooling and is constructed of bronze. The locomotive has a motor with a bell-shaped armature. All driving axles powered. The wheels and valve gear are dark plated. The drive rods, side rods, and valve gear are finely detailed and fully functional. The brakes, sand pipes, rail clearance devices, and inductive magnets on both sides are modelled. The buffer plates are enlarged. The paint scheme and lettering are prototypical. The window frames on the tender are imprinted. Length over the buffers approximately 109 mm / 4-5/16".