Since 1972 the class SD40-2 has been travelling the rails across the country. This locomotive has been manufactured by the Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of General Motors. The 645E3 prime mover is a turbocharged 16 cylinder two-stroke diesel engine with a power rating of 3000 HP, which generates the power for the six electric traction motors mounted on the bogies. The maximum speed of 65 miles per hour (105 km/h) was quite adequate for heavy freight services. The virtually indestructible technology and the excellent maintainability made these 6-axle locomotives with a weight of 16.7 tonnes soon to be the top seller in the EMD product range. Between 1972 and 1986 EMD - as part of the General Motors Group - sold a total of 3950 units, which are employed by many American railroads across the US, Canada and Mexico. The Union Pacific (UP) and the Burlington Northern (BN) – after the take-over of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (ATSF) known as the BNSF – had the largest fleets of about 600 units each. Despite the fact that the locomotives were already about 40 years old, in 2010 the Norfolk Southern (NS) commenced the refurbishment of 143 locomotives and equipped them with an in-house developed cab, the so called Admiral Cab, and low hoods in their own workshops. Due to the long period of procurement the SD40-2s even served at times when legendary locomotives such as streamlined F7s or ALCo PAs were still in service.
SU would like to introduce our super-detailed model of the American SD40-2 in H0 scale. This is EMD’s bestseller since 1972 has been used in almost all north American railroads. Finally we are able to offer this iconic locomotive in our ESU Engineering Edition that can be used both on DC and AC-layouts thanks to our unique, removable AC-Pickup design. This model will be equipped with Hybrid wheelsets that allow the usage on Märklin® track and all common European track systems. It can be used from Radius 360mm and is equipped with rubber tires. The Märklin®-compatible universal coupler could be replaced by a Kadee® coupler any time.
- Drive by powerful five-pole motor with flywheel on 4 axles
- 4 traction tires
- ESU universal electronics with plug-in grinder
- Universal wheelsets for safe operation on Märklin® C and K tracks as well as two-track track material from Fleischmann (model and professional), Peco, Piko, Roco (2.5 mm, Line and Geo-Line) and Tillig Elite
- Prototypical Ditch light on the recesses or flashing lights (Strobelight or Stratolight) on the roof
- Suitable for driving on 358 mm radius
- New LokSound functions "Drive hold", "Run 8", "Coast", "Independent brake" and "Dynamic brake"
- Standard coupling (US claw coupling included)
- Epoch and locomotive specific details
- Openwork fan grill
- Multi-colored driver's cab
- Cab lighting