ON SALE! Most sale items are IN STOCK and ready to ship at the time they are added to your shopping cart (manufacturer/distributor clearance sale items being the exception). No backorders are accepted on sale items unless otherwise specified.
Manufacturer SALE - this product is on sale at the manufacturer. If we do not have stock we can order the item at the sale price directly from the manufacturer. We cannot guarantee availability of manufacturer sale items.
After numerous plans and decades-long projects and discussions, the Vienna light railway was built from 1898. However, instead of the planned six lines, only four were built, covering a track length of some 39 km. The central government bore the lion's share of the cost, while the city of Vienna and the federal state of Lower Austria also contributed. As a reflection of this cost distribution, city planning considerations played only a subordinate role in construction. Instead, military strategies dominated. That is why there was neither a direct line into the centre, nor was electric traction used, even though the technology was already available then for urban transport. The track was built in standard gauge, and the railway was operated by k.k.Staatsbahn with steam locomotives. For the anticipated traffic, a total of 864 two-axle passenger train wagons of classes Cu and CDu were bought between 1896 and 1902. They featured a wheel base of 5,000 mm, a high, domed roof, steam heating, vacuum brakes and a brown wooden exterior with characteristic double windows. This shape served as a model for many other passenger train wagons for local railways. Later, the roof ends were sometimes built straight and the wagon bodies received sheet metal panelling. After the city of Vienna leased and electrified part of the city railway, it also served regional traffic in the wider Vienna area. In 1941, both classes were adopted in the DRG number range und the numbers 206 541-207 117 (ex Cu) and 207 701-207 838 (ex CDu). Due to the events of the war, many wagons were spread over half of Europe, ending up after 1945 for instance with DR, and in Yugoslavia and Romania. As a representative of the original Vienna light railway, a Cu 9424 is today on display in the Vienna Technical Museum.
- Constructive consideration of the varying details between the different eras, e. g. walkway on the roof and ventilators
- Three-point support
- Perforated coach body supports
- Finely detailed, three-dimensional railing
- Short coupling kinematics
- Replica of the vacuum brake
- Original color replication: roof grey, car body green, chassis black
- Coupler Pockets with Close Coupling Mechanism
- Detailed Interior