DISCONTINUED PRODUCT This product is discontinued and no longer available from the manufacturer. We have qty 2 available in stock in our store.
Due to the great lack of travel wagons and express train wagons following World War 2 and the generally poor condition of the vehicle fleet, a conversion campaign for four-axle wagons was announced as early as the presentation of the three-axle conversion wagons. In terms of design, the development of the 4yg wagons was very closely linked to the 3yg wagons which lead to the assumption of numerous components. Therefore, the similarity of both wagon types is unmistakable. However, the 4yg wagons were given a central entrance that had already proven itself with the new 26.4 m city express train wagons and lead to a symmetrical distribution. The majority of donator wagons were Prussian-type 4-axle compartment wagons. The vehicle frames of the donator wagons were all brought to a uniform length of 19,460 mm and then firmly attached to the new steel construction. The first trial wagons were delivered in 1955 by Aw Hannover [Hanover Railway Workshop]. In the subsequent years up to the start of the 1960s, over 1800 wagons of the three main categories, AB4yg, B4yg and BPw4yg, were manufactured. Refurbished standard Prussian design bogies as well as swan-neck bogies were used for the wagons manufactured up to 1958. After 1958, the newly-developed light Minden-Deutz bogies were installed. In order to ensure independent utilisation with all three types of traction, all wagons were equipped with both steam and electric heating. Due to the late delivery of the AB4yg, it was not possible to create trains of a single type from the start. For this reason, A or AB pre-war express train wagons were usually deployed in trains made up of B4yg wagons until 1958. In doing so, the wagons were distributed across the whole of Germany. However, the actual plan of withdrawing all wagons from service by 1.1.1990 did not come to fruition as reunification caused an increase in the demand for wagons. As a result, some wagons even made it as far as Berlin. The last 4yg wagons were finally withdrawn from the Deutsche Bahn fleet on 28.2.1994.