In 1939/40, the Koln-Deutz and Uerdingen wagon factories each constructed quadruple axle tank wagons in a lightweight design. The development was primarily driven by the military since it was necessary to transport enormous amounts of crude oil and fuels for replenishment purposes. As was the case with all war designs, the lightweight design was fully utilized in order to maximize the potential of the available steel quota. However, it soon became apparent that this was done to the detriment of the durability. At this point, both manufacturers were developing wagons with self-supporting tanks. Whilst Deutz left it at puffer beams, the Uerdinger design also boasted sole bars manufactured from bevelled profiles that were intended to contribute in absorbing longitudinal compression forces. The main data of both versions was identical: The length over buffers amounted to 12.40 m, the bogiepivot distance amounted to 6.60 m and the tank contained 63 m3.
- Brake shoes in wheel plane
- Bogie with three-point support
- Individually mounted axle box cover, braking system, wheelchocks, handrails and steps
- Separately mounted axle brake rod
- Finely detailed bogie
- Coupler Pockets with Close Coupling Mechanism