In 1926, DRG ordered further electric locomotives as improvements on the E 77 for operation in the southern and central German network. While the electrical systems remained virtually unchanged, a new one part vehicle frame was designed with the axle sequence 1A''BB1A''. Due to the running gear changes, the maximum permissible speed was set at 70 km/h, raising hopes of better utility in mixed passenger and goods train schedules. 79 locomotives were planned. E 75 01-12 went to south Germany, while the E 75 51-69 went to Leipzig West, Wahren, Bitterfeld and Magdeburg-Buckau.