The Bavarian GTL4/4, which was built as a 98.8-9 class until 1928, was used as a foundation. The boiler and engine were adopted largely unchanged, but the running gear was extended into a trailing axle. This allowed the accommodation of larger stocks than with the old GTL4/4 and a higher top speed by 5 km/h. Overall, 45 locomotives from the 98.10 class were manufactured from 1929 to 1933. Krauss in Munich was the supplier of all locomotives. The most striking was that there was a feed water purifier built into the first 33 locomotives, but it proved a failure and was later removed.